June 5, 2009

Can you believe how fast time flies?!

Do you remember what your child looked like at the beginning of the year? Look at the front of their Take Home folders...that picture was taken at Open House...my, how they have grown! I am very sad to see the year come to an end as I have enjoyed your kids SO much...but I am also filled with pride as they move on to fourth grade ready to meet new challenges! OK...starting to tear up...let's move on...

The past TWO weeks have been full of learning...

Language Arts
The students took the CSA's, read a non fiction book titled Powerful Predators, focused on the writing trait Sentence Fluency to complete two writing pieces (both of which will come home today), and read and created functional documents. In our Functional Documents unit, we started with recipes...wait until you see their own original recipes! We identified and discussed the important text features, we decided which text features made the recipes more appealing, and then the kids created their own. We also looked at menus...again discussing text features and what makes a menu more pleasing to the hungry eyes! Next week each child will create a restaurant menu of their own! We skipped the brochure part...we did that in the beginning of the year!

The kids are bringing home a "How To" essay that they took through the writing process. We started with a draft of "How To Make a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich". I then took those first drafts and actually made the sandwiches following their directions...boy, was that funny! Ask your child about that...I've never rolled a peanut butter jar over bread so many times...this activity helped the kids to see that even though you might know how to make a PBandJ sandwich, your directions can't leave out things like THE KNIFE! :-) So after analyzing how we could improve, your kids set out to write their own "How To" essay....many kids wanted to pick a new topic, so we have many different "How To" essays. We spent the next few lessons specifically focusing on sentence fluency. Then, each child met with a partner to look over the writing and revise based on the other writing traits. Last, they published this essay in the computer lab. You are only going to see the final product. I am putting the stapled packet of drafts in their portfolios. The kids also wrote informative paragraphs about whether or not they'd like to live in the 1700's after our field trip to Rose Hill Manor...and these are REALLY good! So, both pieces are coming home today.

Math
We have been focusing on problem solving...all of the fourth grade indicators have been taught and extended, so we're taking the skills they have mastered and putting them to the test...using them to solve mysteries. I have been very impressed at how well the kids have done. The algorithms come pretty easily to these kids, but applying them appropriately is often difficult...but they're doing a great job! We will continue with problem solving next week.

Social Studies
The history indicators in third grade are all about how technology has changed our society. We focus on what life was like 200 years ago in Frederick County, what it's like now, and how it all changed. Mrs. Foster invited us to her classroom to share her collection of antiques with the kids and talk about how these tools/necessities were used in the past. We appreciate the time Mrs. Foster took to meet with all of the third grade classes! And then...our trip to Rose Hill Manor was sort of the culmination of it all...and it was great! The kids learned SO much and had a lot of fun! We will continue with this unit next week and read some non fiction text that supports this unit.

Personal Body Safety
We completed this unit last week. Urbana ES was one of the pilot schools for this curriculum and I happen to think it is exceptionally well written. The kids were very serious about the topics and did an amazing job holding discussions. I am thrilled with the job FCPS has done training us for the curriculum and the support we received implementing it.

Field Day and other happenings...
As you are aware, Field Day has been postponed. Below are the fun activities we have planned for next week...it looks to be a great one!

Tuesday, June 9th - 5th grade musical
Wednesday, June 10th - UES Band Concert
Friday, June 12th - Field Day
next week - SCRABBLE TOURNAMENT!!!

If you have a Scrabble game at home, please send it in with your child...we will be starting our tournament mid-week.

FYI...I will not post next Friday...I will post Tuesday, June 16th...through my tears.
Have a great weekend...enjoy your families.

Happy End of January

I’m learning that this blog doesn’t really fit into my life anymore...any extra time I have is spent working on enhancing instruction...and ...